A hint of citrus can transform a dish from simple to zesty and refreshing. But, adding oranges, lemons or limes to our menu isn’t just for added flavor – these citrus fruits are also all superfoods!
- Aiding the absorption of iron
- Protecting the body from free radicals
- Producing collagen in the body which helps heal wounds
- Regulating blood sugar levels
- Having antioxidant properties that may help fight cancer, reduce the risk of heart disease and prevent cataracts
Also a good source of folate, potassium and fiber, citrus can help your body function properly and keep you full for longer – so, next time you’re in need of a snack, consider an orange. Make snacking on fruit an even easier choice around your house by introducing new, fun ways to enjoy them:
- Add a few grapes and make orange slice butterflies
- Make a citrus infused water for a refreshing, natural drink to have on-hand
- Drizzle fresh lime juice over a fruit salad to add a tangy flair
- Pop a mandarin orange in your kids’ lunches – draw on a silly face first!
- Dip orange segments in chocolate for an easy treat
We love eating and using these fruits in various nutritious recipes year-round, like our Outrageous Orange Tossed Salad with Cashews, Cilantro Lime Pesto Hot Pasta and Citrus Penne Pasta Salad with Chicken that are featured in the July Summer Splash menu. What are some of your favorite ways to eat citrus? Let us know in the comments below!